Tuesday 21 July 2015

Whitehead Railway & Andrew Jackson's Cottage Carrickfergus.

On an admittedly wet Saturday I packed my Tourist Map and headed to the Country Antrim coast in search of the 'Railway Preservation Society of Ireland' or as I call it 'the wee steam train in Whitehead'. Unfortunately when i got there it was all closed up but it did give me an excuse to visit McKee's Bakery - if you like your soda and potato bread I recommend it!!!!!!
There are also a few nice coffee shops in Whitehead if you are in need of a cuppa - try The Bankhouse or Mauds; word of warning for those with limited mobility Whitehead is quite hilly so try and get parked close to wherever you want to go.

(Website for Railway Preservation Society of Ireland - Steam Train next running 25th July)

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/whitehead/

On the way home from Whitehead I called into the Andrew Jackson Cottage in Carrickfergus, which also houses the US Rangers Museum.

The Cottage is set up as it would have been in the late 18th Century around the time that Andrew Jackson (7th US President) was born; although named after the US President this is his ancestral home, President AJ himself was born in America.
It is run by volunteers and open Thursday - Saturday 11-3 and Sunday 1-4 and entrance is free.
When I arrived I was greeted by a very friendly and enthusiastic married couple who volunteer at the Centre (unfortunately i never got their name), the lady explained President Jackson's story and  invited me to explore the Cottage at my own pace. If you are interested in history and are in the Carrickfergus area I would recommend a visit, with no entrance fee and enthusiastic volunteers explaining the story behind the cottage and the surrounding area (I was surprised to learn of a link between the thatched cottage opposite and the Titanic) it could be an interesting hour or two!
After my visit to the cottage I was off home to dry off and plan my next adventure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment